We are the charity who look after and bring to life 2,000 miles of waterways across England and Wales, because we believe that life is better by water. Every role across the Trust plays it's part in transforming our canals and rivers into spaces where local people want to spend time and feel better, bringing wellbeing benefits to millions.
We currently have an opportunity for an experienced Construction Site Supervisor, based in Fradley.
As the Trust continues to evolve and develop, so has our recognition that excellence in customer service is essential for our long-term success. We are looking for an organised and engaging Site Supervisor, who genuinely believes and demonstrates that a positive customer experience is central to how they work and how they set expectations of their team.
In this role, you will provide excellence in the visitor experience for the Canal & River Trust through the effective planning and delivery of a programme of maintenance and repair works to protect and enhance the reputation of the network as a valued national asset and the provision of customer service.
You will also care and ensure that health & safety and welfare issues are communicated effectively and promoted within your area of responsibility, understanding your responsibilities for and fulfilling your duties in accordance with the Trusts policies and procedures.
This is a hands-on role that involves performing construction activities alongside general supervisory responsibilities.
Location and Coverage
The official reporting base is Fradley Junction (DE13 7DN), but the successful applicant will be required to report directly to site & this role will involve regular travel along the canal network in the West Midlands, including Trent & Mersey Canal, Coventry canal, Oxford canal, Birmingham & Fazeley canal & Grand Union canal.
Occasionally you may also be required to work in other areas of West Midlands Region (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/where-we-work/west-midlands).
About the role
The Canal & River Trust wants to create a sustainable and evolving canal and river network that is a national treasure – accessible to and cherished by all. Core to delivering this vision the job holder will be committed to equality and diversity whereby fellow employees, customers, our partners, and volunteers feel respected, included, and valued.
- A hands-on role to carry out construction tasks & supervise a small team of construction site operatives, providing daily onsite supervision of staff.
- Motivate staff to ensure that outputs are of the standard and quality required. Resolve any onsite staff issues and support the management of holidays and absence.
- Provide support to Construction Manager as required. Deputise for Construction Manger if needed to cover holidays and absence, including attendance for meetings if needed.
- Supervise construction works whilst in the delivery phase ensuring that jobs are delivered according to planned schedules and to meet the engineering specifications provided.
- Liaise with other teams, third parties and customers when needed. Organise deliveries and on-site logistics to ensure that jobs are delivered efficiently.
- Act as Temporary Works Supervisor for works. Ensure that temporary works plans are delivered according to provide temporary works designs or according to equipment manufacturers instructions.
- Where reactive works are required, identify solutions and/or work with Construction Manager to identify solutions. Complete works to required canals to reduce customer disruption
- Supervise the day-to-day work plans of Heritage Trainees and/or Apprentices. Ensure day to day mentoring and support is provided. Resolve any minor issues identified by the trainee or in relation to skills development.
- Work with Manager to ensure that works being undertaken is meeting the training needs of the Apprentice/Trainee.
- Work with volunteers and ensure that they are able to contribute effectively on site. Ensure that appropriate support and feedback is provided on a day-to-day basis. Contribute to open days as required.
- Liaise with contractors and work in partnership as required. Cultivated strong working relationships between Trust staff and contractors to ensure that works are delivered as efficiently as possible.
- Provide feedback on any service issues and best practice. Produce Service Information Packs as required.
- Ensure that the Trust’s and hired equipment is utilised correctly and serviced according to agreed standards. Working with Managers to ensure that yards are maintained in a safe, tidy and efficient manner.
- Assist the Construction Manager with appropriate administration tasks. Provide information for weekly cost reports, assist with the ordering of materials and complete other reports when required.
Health & Safety
- Take responsibility for day-to-day safety on site and promote a safety culture. Complete basic safety paperwork where required and assist the Construction Manager in the creation of more complex safety paperwork when needed. Ensure all near misses, incidents and accidents are reported and be part of investigations and improvements as required.
- Recognised qualification– e.g. NVQ Level 3 or City & Guilds or Completed Apprenticeship in a particular craft e.g. Bricklaying, joinery, plant operation, Construction.
- Relevant valid CAATS competency for use of plant/tools and equipment to maintain the canal/river environment.
- Recognised safety qualification or proven safety related experience.
- Some experience of leading a team / line management.
- Experience of working in a Construction.
- Working knowledge of basic computer systems including SAP, & Microsoft Office.
- Relevant heritage and environmental awareness.
- Current competency for the operation of construction plant.
- Temporary Works Supervision competency.
- Lift Supervisor competency.
Click on the "Apply for this job" button and follow the process - complete the application form & upload current CV.
If you have any questions about the role please contact CRT.firstname.lastname@example.org
We are currently conducting our interview processes virtually as we continue to respect and follow necessary social distancing guidance to protect our team and our candidates. You may be invited to a face to face further stage interview which will always be conducted following strict social distancing guidelines.
What We Offer
In addition to your annual salary of £27,000 we offer a generous holiday entitlement and a competitive contributory DC Pension scheme. Other benefits can be found here (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/work-for-us/our-benefits).
We are striving to represent the diverse communities that we are a part of. All candidates will be treated on the basis of their merits, skills and abilities and solely by being assessed against the requirements for the job.
Find out more about the work we do and opportunities we have on our website: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us