See compensation detail in our 'What We Offer' section below.
We currently have an opportunity for an experienced Site Supervisor, based at Apsley Yard (HP3 9RE).
As the Trust continues to evolve and develop, so has our recognition that excellence in customer service is essential for our long-term success. We are looking for an organised and engaging Site Supervisor, who genuinely believes and demonstrates that a positive customer experience is central to how they work and how they set expectations of their team.
In this role you will provide excellence in the visitor experience for the Canal & River Trust through the effective planning and delivery of a programme of maintenance and repair works to protect and enhance the reputation of the network as a valued national asset and the provision of customer service.
You will also care and ensure that health & safety and welfare issues are communicated effectively and promoted within your area of responsibility, understanding your responsibilities for and fulfilling your duties in accordance with the Trusts policies and procedures.
This is a hands on role that involves performing construction activities alongside general supervisory responsibilities.
The official reporting base is Apsley Yard , but the successful applicant will be required to report directly to site & this role will involve travel along the regional canal network.
See out network:
London & South East region:
About the role & you
The Canal & River Trust wants to create a sustainable and evolving canal and river network that is a national treasure – accessible to and cherished by all. Core to delivering this vision the job holder will be committed to equality and diversity whereby fellow employees, customers, our partners and volunteers feel respected, included and valued.
- A hands on role to carry out construction tasks & manage a small team of construction site operatives, providing daily onsite supervision of staff. Motivate staff to ensure that outputs are of the standard and quality required. Resolve any onsite staff issues and support the management of holidays and absence.
- Provide support to construction Manager as required. Deputise for construction Manger if needed to cover holidays and absence, including attendance for meetings if needed.
- Manage construction works whilst in the delivery phase ensuring that jobs are delivered according to planned schedules and to meet the engineering specifications provided. Liaise with other teams, third parties and customers when needed. Organise deliveries and on site logistics to ensure that jobs are delivered efficiently.
- Act as Temporary Works Supervisor for works. Ensure that temporary works plans are delivered according to provide temporary works designs or according to equipment manufacturers instructions.
- Where reactive works are required, identify solutions and/or work with construction Manager to identify solutions. Complete works to required canals to reduce customer disruption
- Manage the day to day work plans of Heritage Trainees and/or Apprentices. Ensure day to day mentoring and support is provided. Resolve any minor issues identified by the trainee or in relation to skills development. Work with Manager to ensure that works being undertaken is meeting the training needs of the Apprentice/Trainee.
- Work with volunteers and ensure that they are able to contribute effectively on site. Ensure that appropriate support and feedback is provided on a day to day basis. Contribute to open days as required.
- Take responsibility for day to day safety on site and promote a safety culture. Complete basic safety paperwork where required and assist Supervisor in the creation of more complex safety paperwork when needed. Ensure all near misses, incidents and accidents are reported and be part of investigations and improvements as required.
- Liaise with contractors and work in partnership as required. Cultivated strong working relationships between Trust staff and contractors to ensure that works are delivered as efficiently as possible. Provide feedback on any service issues and best practice. Produce SIPS as required.
- Ensure that the Trust’s and hired equipment is utilised correctly and serviced according to agreed standards. Working with Manager ensure that yards are maintained in a safe, tidy and efficient manner.
- Assist Manager with appropriate administration tasks. Provide information for weekly cost reports, assist with the ordering of materials and complete other reports when required.
- Recognised qualification– e.g. NVQ Level 3 or City & Guilds or Completed Apprenticeship in a particular craft e.g. Bricklaying, joinery, plant operation, mechanical or electrical.
- Relevant valid CAATS competency for use of plant/tools and equipment to maintain the canal/river environment.
- Recognised safety qualification or proven safety related experience.
- Some experience of leading a team / line management.
- Experience of working in a Construction.
- Working knowledge of basic computer systems including SAP, & Microsoft Office.
- Comprehensive experience of delivering works to time, specification and budget.
- Relevant heritage and environmental awareness.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
To Apply: click on the "Apply for this job" button and follow the process - complete the application form & upload current CV.
If you have any questions about the role please contact CRT.firstname.lastname@example.org
We are currently conducting our interview processes virtually as we continue to respect and follow necessary social distancing guidance to protect our team and our candidates. You may be invited to a face to face further stage interview which will always be conducted following strict social distancing guidelines.
What We Offer
In addition to your annual salary of £27,000, we offer an Outer London Allowance (£1,910 p.a.), a generous holiday entitlement and a competitive contributory DC Pension scheme. Other benefits can be found here (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/work-for-us/our-benefits).
£28,910 inclusive of allowances
We are striving to represent the diverse communities that we are a part of. All candidates will be treated on the basis of their merits, skills and abilities and solely by being assessed against the requirements for the job.
Find out more about the work we do and opportunities we have on our website: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us